5 Things You Might Not Know About the Kindle

kindle2

1. It uses e-ink technology. That means NO backlit screen. It reads like paper and doesn’t cause the same eye strain as reading on a computer or iPhone. It also means a very long battery life {a month at a time} if you turn the wireless connection off.
  2. You can get a lot of free and really cheap books, especially the classics.
  3. You can read it in the bathtub! Just buy a water-proof or splash-proof case and you’re good to go. Or you can do the poor-woman’s version and stick it in a gallon-size Zip-loc bag or double-bag it if you’re paranoid}.
  4. You can put your own documents on it. Amazon will even convert them to the right format for you. All you have to do is e-mail the file.
  5. I am the proud owner of one!

That’s right. I saved up all my birthday money, and all my Christmas money {thanks again, Mom!} and all my other spending money and ordered a second generation Kindle in January. Verdict? I’m in love. I used to think e-readers were silly. But then I learned about the e-ink technology and decided to give them another look. I’m very glad I did. Faramir {that’s my Kindle’s name, Faramir Took} is easy to read with one hand. That makes reading while breastfeeding much, much easier. Every time we’ve moved I’ve left behind a lot of books {they’re heavy and they take up a lot of space}. Now I don’t have to do that; considering we’ll be moving again relatively soon that’s a comfort. Plus I can take notes and “clip” sections. I can also scroll to a word I’m unfamiliar with and the definition pop-ups. Neat, huh?
An e-reader isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. And don’t think I don’t still love the dead-tree version of books, I do. But I’m thrilled with my Kindle. That’s why I wrote this post. What, did you think I was getting paid to write this? Ha! I wish! Nope, I just really love the Kindle and wanted you to know.
Do you have an e-reader? Do you think you’d like one? What’s your favorite gadget? Tell me in the comments!
siggy

24 Responses to 5 Things You Might Not Know About the Kindle

• Mel says:

“a month?” I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration!

I love my Kindle, too! I also like how it syncs with my iPhone, so I can read my current book on either device, and be right where I left off.

Every so often, when I have my Kindle connected, I copy the contents of the documents folder to a folder on my Mac. Then I have backups of the non-Amazon stuff, like books I’ve grabbed from Gutenberg.org.

Oh, and if you haven’t checked out RekindleIt (www.rekindle.it) for reading web pages, you should.

• Erin says:

I have been coveting a Kindle for a couple of years now and have not been able to convince my husband that it is a good idea. I’m glad you love yours though!

• Thanks for this post! It couldn’t have come at a better time…I just decided this weekend to get an e-reader. BUT, I am a huge B&N fan, and I feel disloyal if I choose a Kindle over the Nook. Did you (or anyone) consider the Nook?

• I’m totally serious about the battery life. I went a month before I had to charge it for the first time!

The Nook isn’t available in Canada, so it wasn’t an option. But I think I would have chosen the Kindle. I’m not a big fan of touch screens.

• Jodie says:

One of the best investments I ever made was purchasing my Kindle! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read and the money I’ve saved on new releases has more than made up for the cost. I woudn’t trade it for anything. Enjoy!!

• Karls says:

I’m so behind the times! I have never heard of a kindle… perhaps not behind the times so much as living in Australia (which is pretty much one and the same).

• Yup, there are free and very cheap books. I got the Wizard of Oz series for $2.00 I think. And some libraries are even putting together systems for lending e-books. I think the Toronto library has a system for it.

• Mother Chick says:

I have the Sony eReader and I love it. I was a holdout for a long time because I seriously love the library, but the eReader is so convenient and it makes reading in bed so much more comfortable. Two thumbs up from me.

• Wendy says:

Call me old fashion, but there is something special about holding a book or magazine or newspaper, “dog-tagging” the page you left off on, using a special bookmark, going to the library and picking out. So, no e-reader for me.

I do think the e-ink is super cool though!

And I do think this is the wave of the future in terms of text books! Neato!

• Alison says:

Awesome! I wish I had your opinion of the Kindle last week when we were comparing the Kindle and the new Apple iPad for my grad school class. If I ever do decide to purchase a netbook, I would probably choose the Kindle also!

• Insanitykim says:

If I read, I would so get one of those…

I have been MIA, but, I must tell you there is an award on my blog for you. Do with it what you like, just enjoy the linkage and stuff and things! :)

• Sabreena says:

I got a red Sony Reader for Christmas and I too am in love. I can download library books and the cost of books is wonderful (average I’ve paid is 9.99). I was torn between mine and a Kindle but went with the Sony because I didn’t need the wireless feature. I’m with you, these ereaders are the best invention yet.

• I really want a Kindle! Sometimes my classes get so boring that I just want to pull out my book and read, but that’s almost impossible with a real book. I think the Kindle will be just as easy as texting in class. :P Thanks for the post, now I know it’s really worth it. :)

LIKE Me Tweet! Tweet! I pin AWESOME shit! Does anybody even use Google+? Mostly videos of my kids Subscribe via FeedBurner
About the Domestic Dork

Never miss a post or giveaway again!

Join 54 other subscribers

Sponsors
The Best Damn Planner Ever
Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat Jillian Michaels

Search & Win
NO BULLY ZONE

Copyright © 2012 Domestic Dork. All Rights Reserved.